We have had a great time exploring Minneapolis – so much fun
Dallin even wanted to check out the ER.
Last week (Monday, June 23) Dallin went to a taste testing event that
Target invited the MBA interns to – and Dallin had a lot of different foods. He
got home around 7 pm and was already feeling nauseous. He started throwing up
about 8:30 pm – I thought I was food poisoning and would pass in 24 hours.
Dallin was complaining his stomach really hurt, again I just thought it was
from him throwing up. Little did we know it was really his appendix.
At 9:00 pm he was throwing up every 15 minutes and knew
something just wasn’t right so we googled some urgent care clinics, hospitals,
and even texted some members of the ward to figure out where to go. All the urgent care clinics were closed so are
only choose was going to the nearest ER.
We ended up at Hennepin County Medical Center - which is an
inter-city hospital. I dropped Dallin off to get check in while I tried to
figure out where to park. At this point
Dallin is still throwing up, he is now doubled over in pain, pale and looks
like he is going to pass out. We over heard someone else saying they had
already waiting 4 hours to be seen. I didn’t know how we were going to wait
that long with Dallin being so sick and Hadlee already tried. A lot of prayers
were answered that night – we only needed up waiting 30 minutes before they
brought Dallin back. They started an IV and got him started on anti-nauseous
and pain medications.
The medications helped a little but he was still in a lot of
pain. The doctor came back in and started pushing on his stomach to see if
Dallin was having more pain in one area than another. As soon as she pushed on
his appendix he felt a crazy amount of pain (Dallin said it was the most pain
he has ever felt – this from the guy who just had hip surgery) . The doctor
ordered a CT scan we just wanted to wait for the results. Hadlee did so good – she watched some shows,
played some games and finally feel asleep in her stroller.
11:45 pm - Hadlee sleeping in her stroller, Dallin in and
out of sleeping, and me praying it was just food poisoning. The doctor came in
to tell us Dallin had appendicitis and needed surgery right away. I lost it – here we are in a completely new place, no
family around, and completed exhausted. 12:30
am Dallin was getting prepped for surgery but one of his labs came back abnormal
he had to do additional testing and an Ultrasound.
2:30 am – All the testing was done and Dallin was in pre-op.
Hadlee woke up screaming and won’t claim down – lucky for us pre-op was empty
so no one cared that Hadlee was freaking out. They took Dallin back at 2:50 am
and took us to the waiting room.
I finally got Hadlee back to sleep in her stroller. It was
the longest hour and half – and I felt so alone.
Surgery went good, with no issues. Dallin would be spending
the night and most of the day in the hospital. Once I saw Dallin in recovery
and knew he was ok I decided to head back to our apartment.
5:15 am I finally crawled into bed – hopping to get a few
hours of sleep before Hadlee woke up and we heading back to the hospital. Hadlee
work up at 5:30 am so she slept with me in my bed till about 7:20 am.
I woke up to a few missed calls from family, five text
messages from family and some member of the ward. I went from feeling really
alone to feeling so blessed to have so many people all over praying for us. The
ward jumped into action, offering meal and help with Hadlee. We even had two of
our neighbors came and gave Dallin a blessing.
Dallin understandable was worried about missing work – he
actually sent an email right before he went into surgery. Dallin’s two bosses
even came to the hospital to make sure he was ok and even to see if I needed
anything. They told Dallin not to worry about work this week and just get
feeling better.
Throughout the day we continue to get calls from the ward
checking on us and see how they could serve us. Again prayers were answered and
I was reminded again I’m never alone. I’m so grateful for my amazing family,
friends and ward members.
![]() |
| Before surgery |
![]() |
| An awesome nurse gave Hadlee some ice cream while we waiting for Dallin to be released. |



WOW! What a crazy and wild summer!! So glad everything went ok!!! Target sounds SO nice! Love you guys.
ReplyDelete